Our Mission is to Map the Universe of Biology.
Improving the human condition is what fuels our passion for finding new ways of enabling scientific exploration. As a company, we strive to create end-to-end solutions that are simpler, easier, faster and more relevant to today’s life science challenges.
As the pioneer in the field of spatial biology, NanoString enables scientists across the globe to envision molecular interactions in three dimensions with three different systems, the nCounter® Analysis System, the GeoMx® Digital Spatial Profiler (DSP) and the CosMx™ Spatial Molecular Imager (SMI) platform. As a result, scientists can see the multiomic expression of genes and proteins in the natural context of tissue structure.
Since our founding in 2003, we have earned a reputation as a respected, trusted pioneer of innovative technologies that support our customers in their relentless pursuit of answers. Our products are based on a novel digital molecular barcoding technology invented at the Institute for Systems Biology (ISB) in Seattle under the direction of Dr. Leroy Hood.
With our technologies, our customers continue to extend our understanding of biology to answer previously unsolvable questions with consistent, reliable results.
However, NanoString is much more than innovative products. The secret sauce to the company’s success is our people, who are committed to excellence and dedicated to catalyzing the next biological revolution. Collectively, we live our corporate values of ambition, grit, ingenuity, authenticity, and customers every day…and never stop asking “What if?”
As the center of the NanoString Commercial Operating System, a successful Regional Account Manager (RAM) will provide strategic direction and tactical focus within the assigned territory. Clear strategic intentions convey the local team’s purpose making it clear how everyone can contribute and make their mark to meet and beat quota. The Regional Account Manager is responsible for identifying and establishing relationships with new customer accounts for the sale of capital equipment and pilot projects leading to instrument sales. The RAM will work closely with the Life Sciences commercial teams including Field Application Scientists, Technical Sales Specialists, Consumables Sales Representatives and Regional Marketing to ensure successful partnering to achieve territory revenue goals. The Regional Account Manager is responsible for generating revenue by selling directly to customers primarily via face-to-face contact.
Territory & Travel: This is a home-office based field sales role, covering the North San Francisco Bay Area primarily. This individual can expect 50-75% field travel per week visiting customers. Additional domestic travel is required to attend company meetings and conferences.
- Establish relationships with new accounts and secure sales with new customers that achieve assigned sales quotas including monthly and quarterly linearity targets.
- Drive the entire capital equipment sales cycle from initial customer engagement to closed sales including pilot projects.
- Prospect for potential customers using various direct methods such as calling and face to face meetings, and indirect methods such as networking and partnering with Field Application Scientists and Consumables Sales Representatives.
- Qualify prospects against company criteria for ideal customers and sales stage gating.
- Consult with prospect about business challenges and requirements, as well as the range of options and value proposition of each.
- Maintain a high level of relevant domain knowledge in order to have meaningful conversations with prospects.
- Identify and present to key decision makers including senior executives and managers.
- Work with technical support and marketing product specialists where required to address customer requirements.
- Develop and maintain territory plans with the Field Application Scientist, Technical Sales Specialist and Consumables Sales Representative, which outline how sales targets will be met on an ongoing basis.
- Develop and maintain key account plans that identify opportunities for company to deliver value, strategic motivators, main stakeholders, buying processes and forecasted sales.
- Highly effective CRM management including detailed notes on prospect and customer interactions and funnel management to enable forecasts on best case and most likely sales revenue for current and next quarter.
- Cultivate strong relationships with third party and partner companies that may be required to deliver full solutions to customers (i.e. cell sorting and quality antibodies).
- Partner with Marketing to plan and execute lead generation campaigns.
- Provide feedback to sales management on ways to decrease the sales cycle, enhance sales, and improve company brand and reputation.
- Provide feedback to company management on market trends, competitive threats, unmet needs, and opportunities to deliver greater value to customers by extending company offerings.
- Identify sales support requirements and work with marketing to develop improved sales tools.
- Be a positive representative of the company and its brand in the marketplace.
- Conduct all sales activities with the highest degree of professionalism and integrity.
- MS or BS in a related science
- A strong understanding and familiarity with genomics products and gene expression technology is required. Knowledge in the areas of areas of copy number variation, miRNA, single cell and/or spatial biology tissue processing preferred.
- 5 or more years of field experience with a proven track record of success
- Excellent communication skills, as well as a pre-existing knowledge of the life sciences market and accounts in the territory preferred.
- Ability to create and deliver highly effective presentations.
- Strong working knowledge of the sales process (quoting, purchasing, revenue recognition) as well as a good understanding of the Miller Heiman selling process and terminology required.
- An ability to travel 25-50% of the time (territory dependent).
- Highly self-motivated with a desire to participate in the growth and success of the commercial team.
- Effective organizational and administration skills including CRM and process documentation experience with a focus on accuracy and efficiency.
- Excellent time management and project management skills.
- Ability to effectively participate in cross functional teams to launch new products or investigate customer issues
Target Base Salary Range:
$95,000 – $131,000
$85,000 at plan, uncapped.
Base salary is an integral part of NanoString’s total compensation package. Base salary considers an individual’s skills, experience, and competitive market value. The base salary range represent what NanoString pays for a job within a salary grade based on external market data in comparison to similar positions from other companies in our industry. Employees generally enter a salary grade at the lower-to-mid-point in the range.
Other compensation elements include a discretionary annual bonus, incentive compensation for sales roles, Restricted Stock Unit (RSU) grants for all new hires, comprehensive benefit plans and paid time off, including designated holidays.
NanoString is Premier Career Development Sponsor at Biotech Networks Event: Scientific Speed Networking in Seattle September 6th 2023, meet them there!